Frequently Asked Questions
Why not just take out life insurance?
Customers are often tempted to choose an insurance policy rather than a Funeral Plan. There are a number of compelling reasons why a Funeral Plan is a more sensible option, however:
- With an insurance policy, you keep paying until you die—which means that you might pay considerably more in premiums than the funeral actually costs! With a Golden Leaves Funeral Plan, you pay a fixed cost.
- With an insurance policy you generally need a health check. There are no medicals or health questionnaires with a Golden Leaves Funeral Plan.
- Generally, you can only get insurance up to a certain age, and you’ll pay a very high premium, too, if you begin the policy at a late age. There are no age restrictions with Golden Leaves and the price is fixed whatever your age.
- There is no guarantee that an insurance policy will actually cover the cost of your funeral when you pass away. With one of our plans, your funeral is guaranteed to be fully paid for, regardless of any changes in the price over time.
- With an insurance policy there is no guarantee that the funds will actually be used to pay for your funeral when the time comes.
- There are no refunds if you cancel your insurance policy.
- Most important of all, perhaps, an insurance policy does nothing to protect your friends and family from the immense stress of having to organise a funeral in a foreign country, with the language barrier, local red tape and regulations (such as burial within 24 hours) to contend with.
..or a savings plan?
Funeral costs in Europe have risen dramatically in recent years and look set to continue on the same path throughout the next decade at least.
• When you put your money in a savings plan or building society account, there is no guarantee that your investment will increase sufficiently to pay for your funeral when the unfortunate day comes.
• Take out a Golden Leaves Funeral Plan, however, and, not only do you pay today’s prices, you’re guaranteed the funeral you want, no matter how prices rise in the future, regardless of how long you live.
Is it really necessary to pre-plan my funeral?
For expats living overseas, we believe it’s essential. The combination of strict regulations, an incredibly fast funeral process, red tape and the language barrier means that pre-planning is certainly the only way to ensure your family is spared the considerable distress of organising everything when the time comes.
Do I need to have a medical?
No. With a Golden Leaves plan there are no medicals or personal questions to answer. Anyone can take out a plan at any age and acceptance is guaranteed. You can even take a plan out for another member of your family, your spouse for example.
What if I want my body to be brought back to the UK?
Most expats choose a plan that assumes their funeral will take place in Spain. But if you’d prefer for your body to be repatriated and to have a funeral on your home soil, we have a funeral plan specially designed to facilitate this.
(And if you’re in the UK when you pass away, your plan covers you there, too.)
Will there be any additional costs at the time of the funeral?
Golden Leaves guarantees 100% of the costs of the arrangements specified in your Funeral Plan. There are no additional hidden extras or additonal administration charges for your family to deal with when the time comes.
Do I need a new will?
If you’re living overseas it’s important to get one that is compatible with the local legal system. The inheritance system is often different to the one in the UK and without the correct advice you may have incompatible English and overseas wills or create delays and complicated probate issues when you die. Golden Leaves can put you in touch with our local experts to help you draft a suitable will.
What happens if I die on holiday?
We recommend that you check your travel insurance covers repatriation. If it doesn’t, we can advise your dependants how to use the Plan’s funds to contribute towards the cost of a local funeral or the cost of repatriation.
Can I cancel the plan?
Yes. In contrast to an insurance policy, for example, you can cancel your Golden Leaves Plan at any time and get a refund for a significant portion of your purchase price.